Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Tap tuning

I forgot to mention that I have been "tap tuning" for lack of a better description, during my whole carving process. It's not really tap tuning by the literal definition, because I'm not trying to tune the plates to a particular note. Siminoff believes in tuning each plate to a note, and then tuning the instrument once it's together to a note. After reading Cafe posts on the subject for hours and hours, I've settled on a conclusion and philosophy for myself personally, based on my experience level. When I tap the wood, all I'm checking for is a good ringing note, and trying to make sure there are no dead spots. There were some dead spots when I first started carving, especially on the back, but now no matter where you tap the wood on either plate, you hear a nice resonating note.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home