Friday, July 28, 2006

Headstock binding, and the search for glue that works with ABS

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Because of my troubles with fiber binding, and since the preferred celluloid binding now has a $25 hazmat shipping charge, I bought some ABS plastic binding from LMI. ABS is very flexible, but as I quickly found out, there's no general consensus about what glue to use. I tried Duco and one other type that I had on a scrap piece, and neither one of them stuck very well. Thanks once again to the folks on the Cafe, I decided to give some glue with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) a try. You can get it at Ace Hardware under the name Seal-All. WARNING- this stuff is very toxic, so you shouldn't be working with it without eye protection, a mask, gloves and good ventilation. This stuff bonded very well to my test piece, so I went ahead and did the binding on my headstock last night. I am happy with the results. It didn't turn out perfect, but I think it's pretty good for my first time. Once I sand the corners, I think it will be tough to notice the imperfections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home